We are feeling quite bullish about our project at the moment.
This week we discovered nice wooden floor in the living room which was a nice surprise. We were expecting to find a chipboard floor like the one in the new kitchen when we removed the old carpet. The fact that we found it is an indicator of progress, it means we are starting clear up.
We were promised that phase 1 would be complete by the end of September. Well it is and it isn’t. Today the 2nd of October we have 2 builders on site clearing up and phase 1 is sort of finished.
Just a reminder about phase 1 and 2. The house is “L” shaped and phase 1 is the major part of the work which is the foot of the L. Phase 1 involved renovating 3 bedrooms, 2 reception rooms and an ensuite as well as the creation of a new downstairs loo. Oh and the repair of 5 sash window (listed building consent requirement) and the small matter of some major steel work to run alongside rotting or wood worm infested beams (again listed building consent requirement).
So where are we:-
Structural work – completed
New ensuite almost there – we just need a drain in the basin
Bedrooms complete – just need decorating and windows
New kitchen – complete apart from commissioning of range cooker booked for Friday
Downstairs loo – complete apart from extract fan
Windows – all still outstanding
The plan is, plumbers come today, we get the first 2 windows back on Wednesday, cleaners come in Thursday and we move in Friday – that will be only a week behind target.
So we completed on time, well sort of yes, but really no. We still have to render two outside walls and we took most of the decorating out of the spec. This is an old house built with mud as mortar in one of the wettest parts of the UK only about 2.5 miles from the sea so we plan to leave the walls bare and dry the house out, once the heating is commissioned on Friday, for several months before we apply paint etc.
As a taster for what we are looking at there is a short video tour of the kitchen here (this video is unedited and one take so forgive the quality please):-
Also this week I have made progress with the slug barrier in the veg patch by almost completing a hard core path around 2 sides of the veg patch and laid some turf in the entrance from the road.
Phase 2 doesn’t need much in the way of structural work (so far as we know) so it will hopefully be a bit quicker than the first phase. Lets hope so we would like to be builder free by Christmas.